< Gouverneur Benefactors — Newton Aldrich
Newton Aldrich was born June 6, 1830, in Luzerne, Warren County, New York. His father. Seth Aldrich, was a successful farmer and a prominent citizen of Warren County. Newton was reared to farm life and educated in public and private schools of Luzerne and Glens Falls.
In 1852 he began as a merchant in Luzerne and became one of its leading businessmen. At the age of 21 he was elected Town Supervisor which he was until 1862 when he was elected Assemblyman from Warren count, a nomination he refused the next term. In 1858, he was married to Catherine Griffing of Washington County. They had one son, Herbert G. Aldrich.
In 1861, Newton became involved with the business interests of Gouverneur when the firm of Weston, Dean and Aldrich was formed. In 1867 he became a resident of Gouverneur and the creation of the sawmill at Natural Dam was begun. He was a member of Weston, Dean and Aldrich until it became the Aldrich Paper Co. in 1900 and was converted to a paper manufacturing plant.
Mira Aldrich Dean was a sister of Newton Aldrich. Her husband was a business partner of her brother's. Mira's husband, Orison Dean became a member of the lumbering firm of Weston, Dean and Aldrich in 1866. The business later became the main industry in the Gouverneur area. The firm's business expanded, their holdings increased, and the Dean family also assumed a major role in the development of Gouverneur before the turn of the century. (See The Dean Family)
Mr. Aldrich was a stockholder in, and director of, the Aldrich Paper Co., vice-president of the United States Talc Co., a stockholder in the International Lace Manufacturing Co., and president of the Bank of Gouverneur.
Newton attained prominence in public service. He was the supervisor of the Town of Gouverneur from 1872 until 1902 (with the exception of four years). He was chairman of the committee which had charge of the creation of the county courthouse.
For 25 years he was a trustee of the Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary. He was a trustee of the Gouverneur Village. and in 1883 was elected its president. In 1886 he was appointed a member of the Slate Board of Charities, by Governor Morton.