— The Original Deed to Gouverneur
Hanging in the Museum Foyer, is the original deed to Gouverneur Township. It was given by Gouverneur Morris to James and John Parker on October 1, 1808.
Click on the images to enlarge them.
Note that the deed is almost always covered in black felt, to protect it from light damage.
Gouverneur Morris, 1752 - 1816