Civil War Log
One of the main features of the foyer is the glass-encased log you see as you enter. This is one part of our unique collection. The details about its origin and why it is under glass is explained in a letter, which is found in a frame hung on the glass case. This letter reads:
"This log was presented in 1886 to Barnes Post. Henry Chapin, son of Darius Chapin, Lieutenant in Battery D, First New York Light Artillery. Mrs Charles B. Hawley is also a daughter of Darius Chapin. Mr Henry Chapin was a traveling man and often visited Chattanooga, Tenn. He saw this log and several times tried to purchase it but the owner never would consider selling it.
Finally owing to financial difficulties, he was persuaded to sell this to Mr. Chapin making the stipulation that it would be taken away that night. That same night, Mr Chapin had it boxed and shipped to S.W. Payne, the commander of Barnes Post.
The tree from which this came, stood between the Rebel and Union lines on Missionary Ridge. On the battle line of General Thomas, called "The Stone Hill of Missionary Ridge. This log had lodged in it, one solid six pound shot, one fragment of an exploded shell and two unexploded Armstrong shells fired from an English Armstrong gun the type of gun of which many were furnished by England to the Confederacy.
This relic is highly prized by Barnes Post and a note of thanks has been spread on the minutes of the post thanking Mr Chapin for his generous gift."
The Battle of Missionary Ridge was fought on November 25, 1863, as part of the Chattanooga Campaign of the American Civil War. Following the Union victory in the Battle of Lookout Mountain on November 24, Union forces in the Military Division of the Mississippi under Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant assaulted Missionary Ridge and defeated the Confederate Army of Tennessee, commanded by Gen. Braxton Bragg, forcing it to retreat to Georgia.
Click the photos to magnify them.